265,000 kids enter the foster system each year. In Washington alone, that number reaches almost 6,000 children annually.
Former foster children often have a rough road ahead of them:
• 65% of children in foster care experience seven or more school changes from elementary to high school
• Only 3% of former foster youth graduate from college
• An estimated 75% of adults involved with the criminal justice system were once in foster care
• One in four homeless people in Washington are former foster children
The scale of need can feel immense and perhaps powerless to stop. Such initial despair is understandable, but we know that change can happen when people act. With the support of our donors, we provide hope, resources and opportunity to at-risk children and families in our community.
You don’t have to be a millionaire to make a significant difference; even small donations have the potential to dramatically improve a child’s or family’s life. And when your donation is paired with others, you can help change the world for these children.
Your pocket change is powerful
You are powerful. All you need to do is act.
You don't have to be a millionaire
To make a significant difference.
Because of YOU, Hand in Hand:
• Provided care and services for 15% of all at-risk, foster system children in Snohomish County. Most of these children were between the ages of 1-month and five-years old.
• Gave academic support to 93 at-risk children through our Husky Club program
• Provided for 436 families from our Emergency Food Bank
• Supplied 2,500 families with clothes through our Clothing Giveaway Program
• Supported 472 people with help to pay rent and utilities bills – keeping families safe and in a home instead of on the street.
With your help, in 2019 and beyond, we look to increase our reach and support to children and families in need.
Never forget, your pocket change is powerful. You are powerful. All you need to do is act.